Thursday, November 21, 2002

I sent the form and copies of other relevant documents off on Monday..we shall see what happens.

One visitor has made a post on The Forum which makes some very good points.

I have posted a public reply on The Forum which I would appreciate to hear your views on.

To me this whole sorry saga shines an uncomfortable "light of truth" (am I being a little too melodramatic?) on some of the key problems, facing individuals trying to make the best of their finances in "modern well regulated" Britain:

1 The inadequate compensation offered by those firms who mis-sold policies.

2 The fact that the FSA appears to be sitting idly by and taking no action to force Life Assurance firms to underwrite the endowments.

3 The lack of sensible options offered to an individual who is facing a shortfall.

4 The lousy rate of returns on savings being offered by banks; higher rate tax payers in many cases receiving negative returns.

5 Dare I mention pensions?

Is it any wonder that we as a nation are berated (by our "ever popular" government) as being poor at saving and hungry for credit...a financial system in which people have no faith is treated with contempt, as are the people who regulate it. See my related article on corporate governance (In Place of Strife) on my "In Your Face" site.

This is a very dangerous situation, I fear for the future. I know, this is a truism!

If the above contains spelling and other errors I apologise, I am writing with fire in my heart (how hackneyed!); straight into the diary rather than first putting it through Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment